Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Illegal Language

And certainly no
chess problems in
Esperanto
On June 5, 1940, the New York Times announced that the German government had prohibited mail entering that country that contained, among other things, Esperanto.
In the future it will not be possible to send postcards or photographs attached to letters, Braille letters, chess problems, crossword or other puzzles through the foreign malls. Secret codes, except for a certain number of specified ones, are forbidden, as well as Esperanto or secret languages, shorthand of any system or lined envelopes.
It does make one wonder what the permitted secret codes are.

As I went to publish this, I realized I should have included this in yesterday's postings. While this was reported on June 5, it is June 4 that marks the anniversary of the Nazi ban on Esperanto.
You can follow my blog on Twitter (@impofthediverse) or on Facebook. If you like this post, share it with your friends. If you have a comment just for me, e-mail me at impofthediverse@gmail.com.
This blog runs solely on ego! Follow this blog! Comment on this post! Let me know that you want to read more of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...